The Three Saltburn Valleys

Saltburn Gill

Saltburn Gill is a wildlife-rich woodland set in a secluded valley leading to the coast; it has largely remained undisturbed since the time of the great forests. A mix of oak, ash, and holly clothe the steep sides of a valley carved by the fast-flowing waters of the Gill and it's two tributaries; the Griff and Darn Bottle.

Hazel Grove

Hazel Grove is a narrow, wooded ravine lying to the north of Saltburn with a beck running to the sea know as Pit Hills Skell. In the 18th century copping hazel was extremely important, the rods being used to make wattle and daub for buildings, woven into hurdles for fencing livestock and made into lobster pots for local fishermen. 

Skelton Beck

The Skelton Beck carves a path through woodlands and under a magnificent Grade II listed brick-built viaduct. It flows through Rifts Wood into the Valley Gardens and down to the sea. 

The Valley Gardens were known as the Saltburn Pleasure Gardens, developed between 1861 and 1873 by the Quaker, Henry Pease as part of the late Victorian seaside resort of Saltburn-by-the-sea.